Sunday, January 30, 2011

C-icak

First of all, you may have noticed that I've changed my blog design. I made the background myself, about 2 or 3 months ago, and I thought it'd be cool if I put it here because it's full of things that reflect my life.

Cicak - or Hemidactylus frenatus - is the common house gecko:


Its name is derived from the sound it makes.

And it is also my archenemy. I have this sort of phobia of cicaks. But as far as I know, we don't have the name for people with cicak phobia. I used to be not-so-scared of these creatures, until one unfortunate incident happened.

I was carrying my laptop with some cables on top of the laptop. I was about to enter my room when I saw a cicak on the wall above my bedroom door. I wasn't that scared of them back then so I just went "Oh they'll probably just stay there with those sticky feet of theirs." but I was wrong.

As I approached the door, it sort of panicked and I think it forgot to activate its sticking system or something so it fell down and I jumped and squealed and the cables on top of my laptop (which I was carrying) sort of jumped with me and the cables landed on my hand and I thought it was the cicak that fell on my hand so I screamed in terror.

Turns out the cicak was on the floor.

But ever since then, I've been afraid of them. I don't know why. Back when I was in 4th or 5th grade a cicak fell to our dining table (from the ceiling) when my family and I were having dinner but that didn't traumatize me.

And no, I've never tried to face my fear of the cicak. People are always like "face your fears" and stuff but I think everyone has fears and it'd be weird if someone didn't have any fears. It's completely normal to have fears. So I say as long as it doesn't disturb your everyday life, let it be. And if it does, go get therapy.

P.S. today is world leprosy day. Leprosy is this sort of skin disease. To find out more click here. And to donate click here. Please donate. Pretty please with sprinkles on top :) Trust me, it feels good to help those in need.

-diralien-

1 comment: